Marquis Who’s Who Recognizes Kenneth B. Garen for Achievements in Information Technology
Mr. Garen founded a unique payroll and accounting Software Company Universal Business Computing Company (UBCC) that is a leader in its industry by focusing on productivity, flexibility and portability
SOUTH PASADENA, CA, July 21, 2017, Kenneth B. Garen has been included in five Marquis Who’s Who publications. As in all Marquis Who’s Who biographical volumes, individuals profiled are selected on the basis of current reference value. Factors such as position, noteworthy accomplishments, visibility, and prominence in a field are all taken into account during the selection process.
Backed by decades of experience as a CPA, software designer and company executive, Mr. Garen remains positioned at the forefront of industry innovation. He started his professional journey by attending Oxford University in 1967 and then earning a Bachelor of Science in accounting (1969) and business education (1970) from Southern Illinois University, whereupon he joined Jerome Garen and Associates, a small business public accounting practice and then passed the CPA exam in 1972. Mr. Garen spent the next 12 years there as a supervisor and was responsible for tripling the practice’s monthly client base by pioneering cutting edge computer technology for serving small businesses needs. His quality results led him to purchase part of that accounting practice to start Ken Garen Inc. which he ran successfully for five years.
A large part of success in client growth in Jerome Garen and Associates was due to substantial improvements that Mr. Garen pioneered to eliminate the data entry department by creating a process for the bookkeepers to directly do their work on a computerized system via a terminal at their desks, ten years before the first Personal Computer was introduced. This resulted in spectacular improvements in productivity including the reduction of time to get Financial Statements to the clients as well as adding additional services such as Payroll and Accounts Receivable processing.
Universal Business Computing Company was created in 1981 to market this productivity revelation to public accounting practices. He has presided as the President and Software Designer of the company for the past 36 years, leading the business in providing software solutions for high-volume accounting and payroll professionals. Some of the accomplishments are…..
• Led the creation of Plain Toner MICR laser check generation using standard HP printers and standard toner;
• Led UBCC's creation of printing technology that does not use the host computers operating systems printer drivers. Adobe adopted this concept in the creation of their PDF after it was pioneered by UBCC;
• Led UBCCs development of operating system independent software and data files that allows UBCC to run on over 600 different platforms, from a single set of source code with the same data files (no conversion is needed), including all 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows, Linux, and UNIX operating systems, and even IBM mainframes;
• Led the development of UBCCs Web Portal that runs on multiple platforms without requiring data synchronization runs on the payroll service bureau or accountants server, and/or other third-party cloud-based servers (practitioners enjoy mix and match flexibility);
• Led UBCCs continuous software development focusing on productivity and flexibility to allow UBCC licensees to achieve maximum profitability;
• Led UBCCs software development of import and export of data via CSV and XML, allowing practitioners to seamlessly import or export of data in any order, without requiring custom programming, and do so from the most commonly used accounting and tax preparation software providers including CCH, Lacerte, UltraTax and Drake tax preparation software; and
• Led the development of UBCCs multi-faceted user interface that allows each operator the flexibility to select the type of interface they prefer: Windows drop-down; Windows tree; or expert mode that allows for heads-down data entry.
What makes UBCC software most unique is its extreme flexibility, allowing operators to customize a clients’ needs by using parameter driven options just for that client and have the same software allow different clients’ needs also to be met using the same software on the same server. Its unequaled productivity is achieved by an optional mnemonic driven user interface combined with heads down data entry and the ability to import and/or export vast amounts of data without custom programming.
With such a wealth of technology design knowledge, practical application, and accounting management experience, Mr. Garen enjoys educating others at national conferences and through the articles he writes for industry leading professionals. He has also lent his services to the American Payroll Processors Association and the American Payroll Association, among other prominent organizations.
Notably, Mr. Garen recently joined the Board of Friends of Mulmangcho ("Forget Me Not"), a nonprofit organization, which assists North Korean refugees. Among the services is a summer program in which North Korean refugees come to the United States on visas to partake in English as a second language classes and to assimilate into modern culture, and college and trade programs to help them find employment and support themselves in a dramatically different society.
Mr. Garen’s achievements have earned him inclusion in Who’s Who In Finance® and Business, Who’s Who in America®, Who’s Who in Science and Engineering®, Who’s Who in the West®, and Who’s Who in the World®.